Monday, January 31, 2011

Mother Nature has officially checked out

Dear Mother Nature,

What's up?  Long time no talk.  Um, could you please explain how it can go from 60 degrees to -15 degrees in the matter of 24 hrs?  I know I know, global warming blah blah blah, but geez did you give up and head South to Cabo for the winter?  Now I am ok with it being cold and all, seeing as I do make a living when it snows, but I don't live in the high country, and I don't live in Wisconsin, so why oh why are you forcing me to take Sudafed tablets like candy to deal with the pressure from the temperature drop pounding in my head? At the rate I am going they are going to cut me off at the Target Pharmacy because of the possibility I could be making a meth lab in the barn due to my high volume of sales.  Anyway if we could land somewhere in the middle with the temperatures then I can stop smearing Vaseline on the chicken's combs so they don't get frostbite.  Because Lord knows I love doing that. 

Peace Out,
Cara

In honor of it being a crappy cold day pretty much everywhere in the US right now, I am adding the recipe for the ultimate comfort food, Ultra Creamy Mac and Cheese Casserole from the Deen Bros.  Now the Deen Bros. are the sons of the Queen of Butter herself Paula Deen.  (Note: they have no idea who I am and are sure as hell not paying me to post this)  I love me a good creamy Mac and Cheese and this one is quite possibly the creamiest I have ever tried.  So much so I added extra pasta the first time I made it, because I was a bit freaked out.  By the way don't bother trying to make it healthy or low fat, because seriously people what's the point.  Just eat the damn mac and cheese and then be good tomorrow.  I also add either bread crumbs or panko to the top, just because I like the texture.  Enjoy!

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter cut into pieces and softened, plus additional for coating dish
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded approx. 2 cups
8 oz american cheese, shredded (yeah right, shredding a Velveeta block is a freakin mess, just chop it) approx 1/2 small block
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
1 cup half and half
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt (I add seasoned salt sometimes instead)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional) (um, don't do this if you have small kids they will hate you)
Pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter a 13x9 inch baking dish; set aside

2. In a large pot of water, cook the macaroni according to the package directions; drain.  Return the macaroni to the pot.  Add the cheeses to the hot macaroni and stir well;  spread in the prepared dish

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup butter, the half and half, eggs, sour cream, salt, cayenne pepper if using, and black pepper.  Pour over the macaroni.  Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 50 min or until golden brown and bubbling.  Let stand for 10 min before serving. 

Note:  I think after I poured the butter goop over the cheesy macaroni in the dish I stirred it all up, because it seemed weird not to do that.  But hey when have I ever followed the rules.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment